History of Jerriel Missionary Baptist Church

"On October 24, 1925 a group of people came together to organize a
Missionary Baptist Church - The Minutes read as follows:

The Green Grove Baptist Church
Cincinnati, Ohio
October 24, 1925:

We met at the appointed place for the purpose of establishing a Missionary Baptist Church in the name of the Lord. Singing and praying was led by Deacon Chandler. Then a hymn and opened the doors of the church and the following members joined: Sister Sugar Watkins, Sister Irene Jackson, Sister Laura Cleveland, Sister Lela Watkins, Sister Patty Watkins, Sister Essie Jackson under Christian Experience after giving them the Right Hand of Fellowship. Deacon Hill and Reverend Arthur Woods gave great lectures. The Church was given the name Jerrie! Baptist (named after the Jerrie! Seminary in Athens, Georgia). It was motioned and seconded that Sister Patty Watkins be elected secretary. The officers present were the Pastor ofthe Green Grove Baptist Church, Reverend J.T. Ford, Deacon Hill and Deacon Chandler. Collection $1.25.

Reverend Arthur Woods took this small group of people and with the Holy Ghost, made a great number. Deacon Willie Clark was the firstDeacon to join the church and Deacon Clyde Adams was also appointed Deacon. The building at 1046 Cutter Street soon becameoo small and the property at 850 Armory Avenue was purchased andthe Charter was received on March 9, 1927.

In 1930 the leadership of Reverend Woods was over and Reverend A.L. Goodwin was called for a short term from June 8, 1931 throughthe 4 th Sunday in September 1931. For a short time Rev-erend Herman served in 1932. Through misfortune he left in 1933. Reverend Wright followed in 1933 through 1935.The members became dissatisfied and recalled Reverend A.L. Goodwin in Febru-ary 1936.

The members paid for the property at 850 Armory Avenue and the mortgage was burned July 12, 1942. The original purchase price was $7,500.00. The church stayed on Armory Avenue until the congregation was entirely too large. hrough long financial efforts and many ups and downs, we purchased, in July 1951, the property at 1018 WesleyAvenue but because of unforeseen cir-cumstances, we did not marchin until November 18, 1951. This was a great day. The Union Bap-tistChurch, Reverend W.A. Page, Pastor - rendered the service. A greatnumber have joined since that time; for we have come from amembership of seven to approximately five hundred (500).

The purchase price of this property was $30,000.00 and is paid in full.Since we purchased the property, it has undergone extensiveremodeling - $18,000.00 for perma-stone and sand blast-ing of theexterior walls. Approximately $50,000.00 for interior renovating andcentral heatin and air conditioning. $8,160.00 for a new root $750.00 for new doors and locks. On January 28, 1973 the church was extensively damaged by fire set by arsons. Approximately $25,000.00 has gone into the repair of the damages.

On Sunday, September 30, 1973 - Reverend A.L. Goodwin was retired by the church after thirty-seven (37) years of service. The call went out to Reverend Melvin T. Jones and he took over the pulpit May 12, 1974. The church has had steady progress since that time and through the help of God we are still growing. One of his first achievements was getting the property west of the church on Court Street cleared of old buildings. We are now in the process of purchasing and expanding on this property. Under the leadership of Reverend Jones, our membership has had steady growth and our financial status has increased. We have had progress in all areas of the Church. The prayers of all are requested that God will contin-ue to bless us. "Reverend Melvin T. Jones, Pastor

On January 9, 1985 Pastor Melvin T. Jones resigned as the pastor of the Jerrie! Baptist Church to accept the call in another vineyard in Lansing, Michigan. Reverend William E. Greene carried on as Interim Pastor, January 16, 1985 through November 30, 1985. ReverendGregory L. Wallace ac-cepted the call for sixteen (16) days, December 1-16, 1985

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do ei-usmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Quis ipsum suspendisse ultrices gravida. Risus commodo viverra maece-nas accumsan lacus vel facilgreat joy and relief, the call was extend-ed to Pastor Michael F. Mack of Ypsilanti, Michigan and on January 22, 1986 he accepted. In1995 Pastor Mack had a vision from God of a new building; a new addition to the existing building and renova-tion of the old. In 1997 that vision became an actuality! The new two level wing houses a spacious fellowship hall, three of the ten Sunday School Classes, four restrooms, the Church Office and the Pastor's Office. The renovation of the original building houses five Sunday School Classes, a Nursery, spacious Chapel, Trustee Office, Nurses Station, Choir Room and Deaconess Areaisis.

On April 7, 2011 Reverend Michael F. Mack resigned as the pastor of Jerriel Baptist Church after 25-years of service. A first in the history of the church, Reverend Virginia Brewster, a woman, was asked to manage the ministerial responsibilities until a new pastor is called. We commend Rev-erend Brewster, her assistant, Reverend Brian T. Moragne and Pulpit Associate Ministers for their dedication, time and talent in support of the church.

**(Please note: Reverend Arthur Hamoc and Reverend Clarence Glover shared the Interim Pastor position between Pastor A.L. Goodwin and Pastor Melvin T. Jones. They both joined the Jerrie! Church during the 1960's). Bishop Iva J. Durand served from June 30, 2013 through September 4, 2016.

Congratulations and our most heartfelt thank you is extended to Reverend Brian T. Moragne who stood in the gap from September 4, 2016 through January 27, 2019 with the philosophy that his purpose in this matter is to simply, "Feed the sheep."

A Pastor Search Committee was organized in 2017 under the leadership of Trustee Melvin Lee Reeves. After much prayer and tenacious work by the Search Committee they presented the Candidates to the Church Body. The Election was held January 2019 and Dr. Johannon R. Tate was the chosen vessel to be the 8th Installed Pastor of the Jerrie! Missionary Baptist Church.